LECTURE PRESENTED BY JULIET ADANNA AT
EWERE OKONTA BLOGS (EOB) THURSDAY
LECTURE SERIES, HELD ON NOVEMBER 5, 2020
TOPIC: AWARENESS ON DELAY IN
Conception in a simple term is the action of conceiving a child. It is every woman’s desire to conceive and bear a child for as many times as she wants. But to many, this single desire has turned to a night mare due to their inability to conceive a child or subsequently after one child.
There are many hormones that are responsible for conception but today, I am here to create awareness on a particular hormone called (PROLACTIN) that has rendered many women childless, or made it impossible for them to conceive again after one child.
PROLACTIN among other functions is a hormone in charge of milk production in pregnant and breastfeeding women. This hormone levels are normally high for pregnant women and new mothers while it is normally low for non pregnant women and for men.
WHAT HAPPENS IF THIS HORMONE IS ABNORMALLY HIGH?
If the prolactin level of a non pregnant woman is high, it interferes with the production of other hormones that are responsible for conception to take place, such as estrogen and progesterone. This can cause such a woman not to conceive for as long as the prolactin level remains high and unchecked.
DANGERS OF HIGH PROLACTIN LEVELS
- Lack of ovulation/infertility.
- Low levels of other reproductive hormones.
- Osteoporosis. (Decreased bone density).
- Pregnancy complications.
CAUSES OF HIGH PROLACTIN LEVELS
- Underactive thyroid gland.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding.
SYMPTOMS OF HIGH PROLACTIN LEVELS
- Irregular or absence of menstrual period.
- Hot flashes and vaginal dryness.
- Milk discharge from breast (in some cases).
Women who are being delayed in conception should pay more attention to their prolactin level because this hormone is being (Trifled) in our society today not knowing that the hormone is actually rendering many women childless or with only one child. Women with delay cases should check and monitor their prolactin levels to make sure it is in normal state.
WAYS TO REDUCE HIGH PROLACTIN LEVELS
- Medication: There are different medications that can effectively reduce prolactin levels but it works according to the level of the prolactin. E.g Dostinex is used for a very high case of proactin level, parlodel is for a high case while bormagon is used for a slightly high case, and all if rightly used will help achieve desired results in as low as 6months
DO NOT self medicate. Please always check with your Doctor (Gynecologist) for the right prescription.
- Avoid activities that over stimulate your nipples e.g sucking the nipples,
- Taking of Vitamin B6 and Vitamin E supplements.
- Changing your diets to food that are high in Zinc and reducing too much stress
I, Juliet was delayed from conceiving as a result of high prolactin level for four years after having my first child. It was during this period that I made my research and found out that mine was a case of high prolactin level; l got myself treated and was able to have more children. Many women out there have been in agony of delayed conception because of high proactin levels and they are ignorant about it, this led me into creating awareness programme where I can teach on this particular case. So far with the help of my awareness programme, four women have been able to conceive after years of delay.
Please read carefully and ask your questions.
Thanks and God bless you all.