– Delta APC
There is a popular saying that “health is wealth”; hence when the Government of Delta State mooted the idea of establishing Contributory Health Scheme for Delta State workers, same was seen as a ray of hope particularly for those who could not afford the huge bills that is usually demanded by private hospitals. But unfortunately, the PDP led Government of Delta State in its usual style and manner has continued to ensure that the Contributory Health Scheme does not work for the benefit of workers, but for the interest selected kakistocrats in Government circle.
By the arrangement put in place by the government/proponents of the scheme, 1.75% of workers’ salaries are to be deducted at source every month, while the Government contributes 3.25%. On a facial value, the scheme could be seen as a well thought out scheme. Painfully, it is now used as an engine of fraud by selected few at the helm of affairs in the State.
Before the scheme came into existence, Government of Delta State deployed every tactics to cajole and convince the State workforce on the need to key into it. Immediately what the Government wanted was achieved, the Government became silent on it. In other words, as at today, most workers do not know and/ or appreciate the existence of the scheme despite the fact that deductions are made from their salaries on a monthly basis.
From available information, less than thirty percent of workers benefit from the scheme, while the deductions/monies covering and/ or supposed to accrue to about seventy percent of workers in the State go into private pockets on a monthly basis. That is, the unused deductions are seen as what Deltans call “sara/ofe” monies, by the economic and political vampires in Government.
Government is not run on secrecy, particularly in a Democracy. If the State Government disputes our facts, Deltans are using this medium to challenge the State Government to disclose to Deltans how their monies in respect of the scheme is expended, to wit;
- What is the total Government workforce in the State?
- The deductions made from both the workers and the Government, which or whose account is been kept?
- That in view of the undisputable fact that less than thirty percent of workers are benefitting and/ or making use of the scheme, what happens to the unused monies?
- The initial force with which Delta State Government used in cajoling/convincing the civil servants on the need to key into the scheme should be reinvigorated/ redoubled, as the deductions made on monthly basis are not meant for career politicians who depend on the sweat of the poor masses/civil servants!
- Delta APC calls on Deltans, particularly the civil servants to wake up from their slumber and go for what rightly belongs to them. They should put an end to people unjustly feeding fat on their monies.
Sylvester Imonina, Esq.,
Publicity Secretary, APC Delta State.
Sylvester Imonina, Esq
Dr. Ben Nkechika